You cannot open .vsdx or .vsdm files in Visio 2010
You cannot open a .vsdx or .vsdm file in Microsoft Visio 2010.
To resolve this issue, install the following service pack or Visio Compatibility Pack:
2687468 Description of Visio 2010 SP2
Visio 2010 Service Pack 2 (SP2) includes the following improvements and changes for Visio 2010:
- You can open .vsdx and .vsdm files in Visio 2010.
- You are prompted to download the Visio Compatibility Pack when you open a .vsdx or .vsdm file in Visio 2010. The Visio Compatibility Pack contains the file format converter for .vsdx or .vsdm files.
Note Only Windows 7 or later versions of Windows support the Visio Compatibility Pack. Therefore, computers that are running a version of Windows that is earlier than Windows 7 cannot open .vsdx and .vsdm files.
- When you open a .vsdx or .vsdm file in Visio 2010, the file is converted automatically to the .vsd file format.
- You are notified when the image quality of a .vsdx or .vsdm file is reduced, and you are given the option to see details about the change in image quality. Elements that may experience reduced image quality include shadows, glows, reflection, soft edges, 3D effect, gradients, cropped image data, and theme effects.
- When you open and then edit a .vsdx or .vsdm file in Visio 2010, you cannot save the file as a .vsdx or .vsdm file. However, you can save the file in a format that Visio 2010 supports.
- The Visio 2010 API, Visio 2010 ActiveX Drawing Control, Visio 2010 iFilter, and Visio 2010 Viewer do not support .vsdx or .vsdm files.
- You cannot edit content that is embedded in a Visio 2013 file if the content is stored in another Microsoft Office document.
Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.
To block the prompt to download the Visio Compatibility Pack, follow these steps after you install Visio 2010 SP2:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Locate and then select the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\Security\
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type V15ConverterPrompt, and then press Enter.
- In the Details pane, right-click V15ConverterPrompt, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
Article ID: 2844302 - Last Review: 07/23/2013 17:46:00 - Revision: 1.0
Microsoft Visio Premium 2010, Microsoft Visio Professional 2010, Microsoft Visio Standard 2010
- kbsurveynew kbbug kbfix kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot KB2844302