How to Create a Windows 95 Startup Disk in MS-DOS
This article was previously published under Q284943
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article describes how to create a Windows 95 Startup disk in MS-DOS.
This article is based on the assumption that the system files on the hard drive are in good condition, and are not corrupted, or that you have access to a functioning Windows 95-based computer.
- Restart the computer. When you see the "Starting Windows 95" message, press F8, and then choose Command Prompt Only on the Startup menu, or open an MS-DOS window inside of Windows 95.
- Insert a blank, non-write protected floppy disk in the floppy disk drive (if you use a disk that has any data on it, the data will be lost).
- Type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command. Do not include the comments that are included in parentheses.format a: /s (this will copy over Command.com, IO.sys, Msdos.sys, and if the hard drive is compressed, Drvspace.bin)
copy c:\windows\command\attrib.exe a:
copy c:\windows\command\chkdsk.exe a:
copy c:\windows\command\debug.exe a:
copy c:\windows\command\edit.com a:
copy c:\windows\command\fdisk.exe a:
copy c:\windows\command\format.com a:
copy c:\windows\command\scandisk.exe a:
copy c:\windows\command\scandisk.ini a:
copy c:\windows\command\sys.com a:
copy c:\windows\command\drvspace.bin a: (format /s will copy this over if the drive is compressed)
copy c:\windows\regedit.exe a:
- Uninstal.exe is found in the Win95_02.cab file, and it must be extracted. This file is only needed if you are planning on uninstalling Windows 95.For additional information about how to extract files, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:129605 How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files
- Ebd.sys is an empty file that is included on the EBD made by Windows, but it is not necessary.
142943 Contents of Windows 95 and Microsoft Plus! Startup Disks
ebd emergency boot disk
Article ID: 284943 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 23:46:56 - Revision: 2.2
Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 95
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowto KB284943