Email message attachments are removed incorrectly on an Exchange Server 2010 Edge Transport server
Assume that you have a Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Edge Transport server that has the Attachment Filter agent enabled. A user outside your organization sends you an email message that contains a Microsoft Office file type attachment, such as .docx, .xlsx, .xls and so on. In this situation, the attachment is removed unexpectedly when you receive the email message.
This issue occurs because the Edge Transport Attachment Filter agent incorrectly considers the attachment as an invalid file, and then removes it.
To resolve this issue, install the following update rollup:
2803727 Description of Update Rollup 1 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 3
To work around this issue, use one of the following methods.
Method 1Run the following cmdlet to disable the Attachment Filter agent on the Edge Transport server:
Disable-TransportAgent -Identity "Attachment Filtering Agent"
Method 2Add a key to the Edgetransport.exe.config file to ignore certain invalid file type attachments on the Edge Transport server. To do this, follow these steps:
- Stop the Transport service.
- Locate the EdgeTransport.exe.config file. By default, this file is located along the following path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Bin\
- Add the following key between the <appSettings> element and the </appSettings> element of the EdgeTransport.exe.config file:
<add key="AllowInvalidAttachment" value="true" />
- Restart the Transport service.
- Verify that this issue is resolved. To do this, send an email message together with an attachment that contains the affected file type. Make sure that this email message is processed correctly by using the updated Edge Transport server.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about how to configure the attachment filtering, go to the following Microsoft website:
945046 You receive an NDR message when you send an e-mail message by using an Exchange Server 2007 Edge server
Article ID: 2855809 - Last Review: 07/05/2013 06:10:00 - Revision: 2.0
Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 3
- kbqfe kbfix kbsurveynew kbexpertiseinter KB2855809