Some Instant Messaging client features are not available in Outlook
Some of the instant messaging features shared between your instant messaging (IM) client and Microsoft Outlook may be missing. For example, in Microsoft Outlook 2010 the Quick Contacts from Microsoft Lync are not available in the Outlook To-Do Bar, or presence information and contact photos do not appear in Outlook.
This problem can occur when a wrong or incompatible IM client is listed as the value for DefaultIMApp in the registry.
In one case, Microsoft Support teams have seen the problem described in the "Symptoms" section when the value of DefaultIMApp was set to "Cisco Jabber". Cisco Jabber is manufactured by Cisco Systems.
Third-party information disclaimer
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.
To resolve the problem, make sure the DefaultIMApp string value is set to the appropriate value for your installed IM client. The following table lists the values to use for the different IM clients from Microsoft.
|Installed IM client||Value for DefaultIMApp|
|Microsoft Office Communicator||Communicator|
|Microsoft Lync 2010||Communicator|
|Microsoft Lync 2013||Lync|
To do this, follow these steps:
- Exit Outlook and your IM client.
- Start Registry Editor. To do this, use one of the following procedures, as appropriate for your version of Windows.
- Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 8:Press Windows Key + R to open a Run dialog box. Type regedit.exe and then press OK.
- Windows 7: Click Start, type regedit.exe in the search box, and then press Enter.
- Locate and then select the following registry key:
- Select the DefaultIMApp string value.
Note If the DefaultIMApp value is not present under the IM Providers key, then it needs to be created manually.
- Right-click IM Providers, point to New, and then click String Value.
- Right-click the new string value, and then click Rename.
- Change the string value name to DefaultIMApp and then press Enter.
- On the Edit menu, click Modify.
- Type the name of your IM client, and then click OK.
- Exit registry editor.
- Start your IM client.
- Start Outlook.
For more information about Skype not sharing presence information with Microsoft Office applications, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
2794968 Skype client does not share presence information with Microsoft Office applications
Article ID: 2859256 - Last Review: 12/08/2015 05:31:00 - Revision: 7.0
Outlook 2016, Microsoft Outlook 2013, Microsoft Outlook 2010, Microsoft Office Outlook 2007