Visual Studio 2013 captures black frames on an ARM-based device in Windows 8
Assume that you have a remote ARM-based device or computer that is running Windows 8. When you try to capture frames on that device or computer by using the graphics debugging feature in Microsoft Visual Studio 2013, Visual Studio incorrectly captures black frames. Additionally, no image is shown in the frame buffer window for any of the frames, and the event list tool window does not show any data.
This issue occurs because the D3dcompiler_46.dll file is not installed.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Download and install Remote Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Update 2.
Note By default, these files are installed in the following location:%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger
- Copy D3dcompiler_46.dll from the following location: %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\ARM
- Paste the copied file to the following location: %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\ARM
- Exit then restart Visual Studio.
For more information, see other known issues that you may experience after you install Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Preview.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Article ID: 2862146 - Last Review: 06/26/2013 16:52:00 - Revision: 1.0
Visual Studio 2013 Preview
- kbsurveynew kbtshoot kbexpertiseadvanced KB2862146