My media device is not available in the Devices charm
The Devices charm experience in Windows for streaming video, audio, and photos is designed to work together with devices that are certified for Windows 8. By default, devices that have not been certified for Windows 8 are not shown in the Devices charm for Windows Store apps. This article describes how to determine whether your device is certified for Windows 8, and how to change the default policy to show your non-certified devices in the Devices charm in Windows 8.1.
To determine whether your device is certified for Windows 8, open the Devices page in PC Settings. To do this, type Device Settings from the Start screen, and then tap or click Device Settings. You will see compatible media devices such as a TV or audio speaker organized as Play devices. If your device is not certified for Windows 8, Not Windows certified will be displayed under the device name. If no Play devices are shown, tap or click Add a device to find a compatible device on your home network, or Change network settings to turn on finding devices automatically. Otherwise, your device may not be compatible with the Devices charm.
To enable the Devices charm for devices not certified for Windows 8 in Windows 8.1, add the following registry key value:
Registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\PlayTo
Value data: 1
Value data: 1
Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.
To add this registry key value, follow these steps:
- Start Registry Editor. To do this, type regedit.exe on the Start screen, and then tap or click regedit.exe.
- Locate and then select the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft
- On the Edit menu, point to New, tap or click Key, and then type PlayTo.
- Select the newly added PlayTo key, point to New on the Edit menu, and then tap or click DWORD Value.
- Type ShowNonCertifiedDevices in the Name field, and then press Enter.
- Press and hold or right-click ShowNonCertifiedDevices, and then tap or click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1.
- Tap or click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
- This feature can also be enabled by following the same steps for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\PlayTo. However, we recommend that you add this ShowNonCertifiedDevices value under a key that is machine-centric rather than user-centric.
- This feature is for users who would prefer to connect to their non-certified devices even if they will not be guaranteed a great experience.
- Devices not certified for Windows 8 may not be compatible with modern formats used by websites and apps in the Store or playback controls such as volume, skip, or seek.
Article ID: 2871501 - Last Review: 07/30/2015 00:48:00 - Revision: 2.0
Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 8.1
- kbhowto kbexpertiseadvanced kbsurveynew KB2871501