OL2002: Autocomplete May Not Function Correctly After You Upgrade from Outlook 2000 Internet Mail Only to Outlook 2002
This article was previously published under Q287854
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
After you upgrade to Microsoft Outlook 2002 from Microsoft Outlook 2000, the Autocomplete feature of Outlook 2002 may not function correctly.
This problem occurs when a 0-byte .nick file exists at the time that you upgrade from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2002. Outlook 2002 does not create the .NK2 file that is used to cache names for the Autocomplete feature.
To resolve this problem, rename the Outlook 2000 .nick file and repair Outlook 2002.
How to Find and Rename the .nick File
- Close all programs.
- If you are running Microsoft Windows 95 or Microsoft Windows 98:
On the Start menu, point to Find, click Files or Folders, and then type in *.nick in the Named box.
- If you are running Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) or Microsoft Windows 2000:
On the Start menu, point to Search, click For Files or Folders, and then type in *.nick in the Files or Folders Named box.
- Verify that the section beside the Look In box is pointing to your drive C, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click on any .nick files that are found, and then click Rename.
- Change the .nick extension to OLD, and then press ENTER.
How to Repair Outlook 2002
- Place the Microsoft Office XP CD in your CD-ROM drive.
- Open Outlook 2002
- On the Help menu, click Detect and Repair. If you do not see this menu item, click the chevrons at the bottom of the menu to display the hidden menu items.
- In the Detect and Repair dialog box, click Start.
- Click OK, and then restart your computer.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
287623 OL2002: How to Reset the Nickname and Automatic Completion Cache
Article ID: 287854 - Last Review: 12/06/2015 00:23:09 - Revision: 1.2
Microsoft Outlook 2002 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbbug KB287854