How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you use a Database Maintenance plan in SQL Server
This kind of behavior is normal because errors may be encountered that need user intervention to work through. Any time a maintenance plan job fails, you must check the plan history to see what the failure is and then take the appropriate action to resolve the problem.
- Navigate to and then expand Database Maintenance Plans.
- Right-click the Database Maintenance Plan for which the corresponding job failed.
- Click Database Maintenance Plan History.
- A window opens that contains details about each task performed in the Maintenance Plan. A historical list is provided for each task run on each date, which also indicates the failure or success status of the individual task. If you double-click a failed task, information displays indicating any error messages that occurred along with information about why the task failed.
- Take the necessary steps at this point to resolve the specific issue indicated.
You can also have detailed Maintenance Plan information written to a file. To have detailed Maintenance Plan information written to a file, use these steps:
- In SQL Server Enterprise Manager, navigate to the Database Maintenance Plans. Select and then double-click the plan you want.
- Click the Reporting tab. In the Reporting dialog box, you can choose to write a report to a text file in a specified directory. The report contains details of the steps executed by the maintenance plan, and includes any error information. You can also have this report e-mailed to a specified operator for regular checking.
- Instead of a text report, you can direct the output to a SQL Server table with the History on this server option.
For more information about the details of setting these options for a Database Maintenance Plan, see the "Database Maintenance Plan, Reporting Tab" topic in SQL Server Books Online.
sqlagent.exe -c -v
sqlagent.exe -i[Instance] -c -v
Article ID: 288577 - Last Review: 12/20/2005 00:58:16 - Revision: 4.3
- kbinfo KB288577