Can’t start Windows Simulator after you upgrade to Windows 8.1 in Visual Studio 2012
Consider the following scenario:
- You have Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 installed on a Windows 8-based computer.
- You upgrade the computer to Windows 8.1.
- You try to start the Windows simulator in Visual Studio.
In this scenario, you receive the following error message:
Windows Simulator needs your current credentials. Please lock this computer, then unlock it using your current password and run the Windows simulator again.
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods:
- Apply the update from KB2887595.
- Install Visual Studio 2012 Update 4.
- Repair Visual Studio 2012. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Programs and Features.
- Right-click the version of Visual Studio 2012 that you have installed, and then click Change.
- Click Repair when the Visual Studio 2012 Setup wizard opens.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Article ID: 2892596 - Last Review: 11/12/2013 19:21:00 - Revision: 2.0
- Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2012
- Microsoft Visual Studio Premium 2012
- Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2012
- Microsoft Visual Studio Test Professional 2012
- Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web
- Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8
- Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop
- Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone
- kbexpertiseinter kbsurveynew kbprb kbtshoot KB2892596