WD2000: Watermark and WordArt Object Are Printed as a Solid Black Block
This article was previously published under Q289725
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
For a Microsoft Word 2002 version of this article, see 286902
When you print a Microsoft Word document, and the document contains a watermark or a WordArt object, the watermark or the WordArt object appears to be a solid black block.
This problem can occur with the following printers on the following operating systems:
- HP LaserJet 4MV with Microsoft Windows 2000
- HP LaserJet 4+ with Microsoft Windows 98 (watermark is too dark)
- HP Color LaserJet 4500 with Microsoft Windows 98 or Windows 2000
The problem only occurs when the printer is not set to raster mode, and the watermark is set to semitransparent.
To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Update Printer Driver
Contact the manufacturer of your printer to determine whether an updated printer driver is available.
For information about how to contact your printer manufacturer, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Method 2: Set to Raster Mode
Set your printer graphics mode to raster. To change your printer graphics mode, use steps similar to the following (depending on your individual printer):
- In Word, on the File menu, click Print.
- In the Print dialog box, click Properties.
- In the Printer Properties dialog box, click the Options tab.
- In the Graphics Mode box, select Raster.
Method 3: Turn Off the Semitransparent Option
Do not use the Semitransparent
option with a watermark. To turn off the Semitransparent
option, follow these steps:
- Right-click your watermark object, and then click Format Picture on the shortcut menu that appears.
- On the Colors and Lines tab, click to clear the Semitransparent check box, and then click OK.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Article ID: 289725 - Last Review: 02/28/2014 04:25:58 - Revision: 2.0
Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbbug kbnofix KB289725