Can't add a Fakes reference in Visual Studio 2012 after you upgrade to Windows 8.1
Consider the following scenario:
- You have Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 installed on Windows 8-based computer.
- You upgrade to Windows 8.1.
- You add a Fakes reference in Visual Studio.
In this scenario, you receive the following error message:
Could Not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Build.Utilities, Version = 184.108.40.206, Culture = neutral, PublicKeyToken = b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. System can not find the file specified.
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods:
- Install the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.
- Repair the Visual Studio installation:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Programs and Features.
- Right-click the version of Visual Studio 2012 that you have installed, and then click Change.
- When the Visual Studio 2012 Setup wizard opens, click Repair.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Article ID: 2898973 - Last Review: 10/21/2013 23:23:00 - Revision: 1.0
- Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web
- Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8
- Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop
- Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone
- Microsoft Visual Studio Test Professional 2012
- Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2012
- Microsoft Visual Studio Premium 2012
- Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2012
- kbsurveynew kbtshoot kbexpertiseadvanced atdownload KB2898973