Windows Server 2012 R2 setup may fail on a virtual machine that is configured to use the minimum required memory
- You create a virtual machine that is configured to use the minimum RAM requirement (512 megabytes [MB]).
- You start the virtual machine from an ISO image file.
- You try to set up Windows Server 2012 R2 on the virtual machine.
Windows installation encountered an unexpected error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation.
Error code: 0xE0000100"
- Create a page file. To do this, follow these steps:
- When the virtual machine starts, press Shift + F10 to open the Command Prompt window.
- Run Diskpart.exe to create and format the partition (for example, C:) on which you want to install Windows Server 2012 R2.
- Run the following command to create a page file that has default size of 64 MB:
wpeutil createpagefile /path=C:\pf.sys
- Exit the Command Prompt window, and then continue the setup.
- Increase the allocated memory of the virtual machine before setup.
- Create and set up another virtual machine that is configured to use more memory, and then attach the virtual hard disk.
Article ID: 2901152 - Last Review: 07/30/2015 00:46:00 - Revision: 2.0