How to turn off AutoFormat options in Word
- Word automatically formats items such as headings, bulleted and numbered lists, borders, numbers, and symbols as you type your document. You can control which automatic changes Word makes, or you can turn AutoFormat off completely.
- You can automatically format selected document text or the whole unformatted document, such as an email message, when you click AutoFormat on the Format menu. You can review, accept, or reject each change.
- By default, the AutoFormat command is not available on the Ribbon in Word 2007 or later versions. If you want to manually format selected document text or the whole unformatted document in Word 2007 or later versions, you can use the AutoFormat command.
Turn off AutoFormat optionsTo turn off automatic formatting options that Word applies, follow the steps for the version of Word that you are running.
Word 2013, Word 2010 or Word 2007
- Start Word.
- Do one of the following:
- In Word 2010 and 2013, click Options on the File tab.
- In Word 2007, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options.
- Click Proofing, and then click AutoCorrect Options.
- Click the AutoFormat As You Type tab or the AutoFormat.
- Select or clear the check boxes for the options that you want, and then click OK.
Word 2003 or Word 2002
- Start Word.
- On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options.
- Click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.
- Under Replace as you type, Apply as you type, and Automatically as you type, select or clear the check boxes for the options that you want to enable or disable. After you do this, you can format these items manually.
- Click OK.
For more information about how to turn off AutoFormat options and what each AutoFormat option means, click the following article:
Undo or turn off automatic formatting
For more information about AutoFormat options in Word, press F1 and search for autoformat in Microsoft Word Help.
Article ID: 291473 - Last Review: 07/12/2013 07:20:00 - Revision: 8.1
- kbgraphxlinkcritical kbhowtomaster kbproof KB291473