How to activate Windows XP using an Unattend.txt file
This article was previously published under Q291997
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article describes how to activate Microsoft Windows XP using an unattended installation.
Note Before the automatic activation of Windows XP can occur, you must first establish an Internet connection.
To activate Windows XP by using an unattended installation, add the following information to the Unattend.txt file:
- In the Unattended section, type:AutoActivate = Yes
- Under the UserData section, type:ProductID = yourProductID(Your Product ID is located on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker.)
Note Every Windows XP retail installation must have a unique Product ID for activation.
- In the Unattended section, type:ActivateProxy=Proxy
- Type your computer's proxy settings in the Proxy section.
For additional information, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
291983 Ports used by Windows Product Activation
155197 Unattended Setup parameters for Unattend.txt File
Article ID: 291997 - Last Review: 12/06/2015 01:20:04 - Revision: 2.6
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbenv kbhowto kbsetup KB291997