How to perform an in-place upgrade of Windows 2000
This article was previously published under Q292175
This article applies to Windows 2000. Support for Windows 2000 ends on July 13, 2010. The Windows 2000 End-of-Support Solution Center is a starting point for planning your migration strategy from Windows 2000. For more information see the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy.
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article describes how to use the Windows 2000 Professional Setup CD-ROM to perform an in-place upgrade over the existing installation, if you have first performed the emergency repair process and the computer still does not operate normally.
This procedure is a last resort before reinstalling the operating system. Note that the time required to complete the following procedure is equal to the time that it takes to reinstall the operating system.
To perform an in-place upgrade of Windows 2000, follow these steps:
- Insert the Windows 2000 Setup CD into the CD-ROM drive, start the computer, and then press a key to start from the CD-ROM.
- On the Windows 2000 Setup screen, press ENTER to run the To set up Windows 2000 now, press Enter command.
- Press the F8 key to accept the License Agreement.
- Setup should now detect your installation.
Note If the Setup program does not detect a previous installation but just continues to the partitioning screen, there is a problem. An in-place upgrade may not be possible.
- When you are prompted to repair the existing Windows 2000 installation, press R. Windows 2000 Setup performs an in-place upgrade of the existing installation. Note that you might lose some of your customized settings for the system files.
306952 What an in-place Windows 2000 upgrade changes and what it does not change
238359 Differences between manual and fast repair in Windows
816579 How to perform an in-place upgrade of Windows Server 2003
repair boot cd emergency w2k win2000hotsetup
Article ID: 292175 - Last Review: 12/06/2015 01:22:24 - Revision: 5.5
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbinfo KB292175