Organization charts from Office 2000 programs appear different in Office XP programs
This article was previously published under Q293615
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
An organization chart may change when you try to edit it. This behavior may occur when all of the following conditions are true:
- You open a file from an earlier version of Office in an Office XP program.
- The file contains an MS Organization Chart 2.0 object.
- You double-click the organization chart to edit it.
The Office XP Organization Chart tool was completely rewritten and improved for Office XP. Some of the formatting for organization charts in earlier versions of Office cannot be converted to the Office XP organization chart type. When an Office program cannot convert an organization chart from an earlier version of Office, it may change the organization chart into the default "hanging boxes" type of organization chart.
To work around this problem, do not try to edit any organization charts that are in files that were created from versions of Office earlier than Office XP. All of the organization charts change a little when they are edited, and any charts that are different from the hanging box style may change substantially.
In Office XP, you can view any organization charts made with earlier versions of Office without changing them; however, if you want to edit the organization chart, Microsoft recommends that you do one of the following.
Method 1: Create a New Organization ChartCreate a new organization chart in your Office XP program similar to the existing organization chart that was created in the earlier version of the Office program. Delete the old Organization Chart from your file.
For more information about how to add an Organization Chart, click Microsoft 'program name' Help on the Help menu, type add an organization chart in the Office Assistant or the Answer Wizard, and then click Search to view the topics returned.
Method 2: Disable Chart Conversion and Reinstall Organization Chart 2.0IMPORTANT NOTE: The use of this procedure will not affect the ability to insert or edit Office XP Organization Charts.
You can use the MS Organization Chart 2.0 that is installed by Microsoft Office 2000. To do this, you must prevent the conversion of organization charts when you open the presentation. Reinstall MS Organization Chart 2.0. To do this, follow these steps.
Step 1: Disable the Conversion of Organization ChartsImportant This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To disable the automatic conversion of organization charts when you open a presentation or when you edit an organization chart in an Office XP program, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type regedit to start Registry Editor.
- Locate and select the following key in the registry:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common
- On the Edit menu, point to New and click Key.
- In the New Key #1 box, type OrgChart and then press ENTER.
- With the OrgChart key selected, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click DWORD Value.
- In the New Value #1 box, type DoNotAllowConversion and press ENTER.
- With DoNotAllowConversion selected, click Modify on the Edit menu.
- In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, select Decimal, type 1 in the Value data box, and then click OK. The DoNotAllowConversion entry should now look like the following example:
DoNotAllowConversion REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)
- Quit Registry Editor.
Step 2: Install Organization Chart 2.0To install MS Organization Chart 2.0, follow these steps:
- Insert your Microsoft Office 2000 CD-ROM.
- Step through the Setup process and select Customize for the type of setup to perform.
- Follow the setup process to Selecting Features.
- Set each node of the setup tree to Not Available.
- Expand the Office Tools node.
- Change Organization Chart to Run all from My Computer.
- Click Install Now.
- Click OK when Office 2000 Setup has completed successfully.
- On the Insert menu, click Object.
- Click Create New.
- In the Object type list, select MS Organization Chart 2.0 and click OK.
The following MS Organization Chart 2.0 formatting styles are not available in the Diagram Gallery Organization Chart. This difference may substantially change any organization chart from an earlier version, when you convert it to the Office XP format. The affected styles and the ways they are changed are:
- The first group style in the second line on the Styles menu (sometimes called "quadruple hanging"). Any MS Organization Chart 2.0 chart that uses this style may change to the default "hanging box" style in your Office XP program.
- If you use the second and the third subordinate styles in the same organization chart, the chart changes to the default "hanging box" style.
- If your organization chart contains more than one group of subordinates, all of the subordinates may appear in one group and be in the default "hanging box" style.
293212 You cannot create an organization chart in PowerPoint 2003 or PowerPoint 2002 that is similar to charts that you created in PowerPoint 2000For more information about organization chart objects in Microsoft Office 2003, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
826835 You receive an error message when you try to edit Organization Chart 2.0 objects that are created in earlier versions of Office
PPT prb OFFXP
Article ID: 293615 - Last Review: 12/06/2015 01:35:51 - Revision: 2.5
Microsoft Excel 2002 Standard Edition, Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 Standard Edition, Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbprb KB293615