OFFXP: Global IME Does Not Work After You Install Office XP
This article was previously published under Q293624
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
After you install Microsoft Office XP, the Global Input Method Editor (IME) 5.01 is removed or becomes unavailable for use, and you cannot type in the language of the Global IME that was installed.
Note This symptom occurs on Microsoft Windows 98-based and Microsoft Windows NT 4.0-based computers.
The Global Input Method Editor is not supported in Office XP.
To resolve this issue, do one of the following:
- Purchase the Office XP Proofing Tools Kit from the Web (not available in retail stores). To do so, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- Obtain the Office XP version that contains the Office XP Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI Pack). To do so, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The Office XP Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI Pack) is only available to Open and Select customers.
- Download an Office XP IME from the Microsoft Web site. To obtain the Global IMEs for Japanese, Korean, Chinese Traditional, and Chinese Simplified, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- Install a localized version of Office XP.
If you use Microsoft Windows 2000 or Microsoft Windows XP, follow these steps to add East Asian language IME, and use it on Office programs:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options, and then click Regional and Language Options.
- Click the Languages tab.
Under Text services and input languages, click Details.
- Under Installed services, click Add to add the IME of your choice.
For additional information about how to enable multilingual language support, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
General information resources about international and multilingual features in Word 2003 and Word 2002
ime global prb OFFXP
Article ID: 293624 - Last Review: 02/28/2014 04:26:47 - Revision: 4.1
- Microsoft Office XP Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
- Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbdownload kbdownload kbprb KB293624