HOW TO: Use Qfixapp.exe in Windows XP
IN THIS TASK
back to the top
Use Qfixapp.exe To Apply Program FixesYou can use Qfixapp.exe to quickly apply various program fixes (AppFixes, also known as "shims") to a program to determine their effectiveness. Qfixapp.exe reads the %SystemRoot%\Windows\Apppatch\Sysmain.sdb database to produce a list of available fixes. When you select an AppFix, you can start the program executable (.exe) file, and the AppFix will be applied. If a suitable AppFix is found, the tool eventually helps you to generate and test matching file information. When you run Qfixapp.exe, you see the following items:
- The The application for which to apply the fix(es) check box. This setting disables existing fixes in the database.
- The Layer tab with the Choose one of the existing layers to apply to your app box that contains the following entries:256 Color
LUA(Limited User Account)
- The Fixes tab. On this tab you can select the individual fixes that you want to apply.
Example of How to Use Qfixapp.exe
- Start Notepad, and then click About Notepad on the Help menu. Note that the version is 5.1.
- Start Qfixapp.exe, click Win95, click Browse, and then open the Windows folder. Note that the Windows\System32 folder is protected by Windows File Protection, so it is not able to use the layers.
- Click Notepad.exe, click Open, and then click Run.
- Start Notepad, and then click About Notepad on the Help menu. Note that the version is now 4.0.
back to the top
Article ID: 294416 - Last Review: 12/06/2015 01:43:56 - Revision: 1.2
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbenv kbhowto kbhowtomaster KB294416