Computer Slows When You Click Multiple Icons in Windows XP
This article was previously published under Q294770
When you drag the pointer to select multiple file icons, the computer may slow down or become erratic.
This problem may occur if you have enabled the Show translucent selection rectangle option. Alpha blending causes a noticeable performance decrease on many computers.
To resolve this problem, disable the Show translucent selection rectangle
- Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
- On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
- On the Visual Effects tab, clear the Show translucent selection rectangle option.
- Click OK twice.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
For help with system performance issues in Windows Vista, visit the following Microsoft web page:
click drag box thumbnail tile folder
Article ID: 294770 - Last Review: 01/15/2006 22:35:54 - Revision: 1.3
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows Advanced Server, Limited Edition