How to connect to Microsoft Azure StorSimple Appliance from Linux-based computers
This article describes how to connect a Linux host to a StorSimple storage array and then mount a volume.
Note To connect from a Linux host to StorSimple devices, you must use the Open-iSCSI initiator.
On the Linux host
- Make sure that the iSCSI utilities are installed.
- To check whether they are installed, run the rpm -q iSCSI-initiator-utils command.
- If the iSCSI utilities are not installed, install them by using the yum install iSCSI-initiator-utils command.
- Find the iSCSI initiator name of the Linux host. To do this, run the cat /etc/iSCSI/initiatorname.iscsi command.
On the StorSimple appliance
- Create an Access Control Record (ACR) by using the iSCSI initiator name of the Linux host. For more information about the instructions for creating an ACR, visit this website.
- Create a new volume, and then grant permissions to the volume to the ACR for the Linux host. For more information about the instructions for creating a volume, visit this website.
On the Linux host
- Perform discovery on the IP address of a data interface on the StorSimple device. To do this, run the iscsiadm -m discovery -t sendtargets -p xx.xx.xx.xx command.
Note Replace the xx.xx.xx.xx placeholder in the previous example with your StorSimple data interface IP.
- Restart the iSCSI service by using the /etc/init.d/iSCSI restart command.
- Confirm that the StorSimple volume is visible, and then find the name of the volume. To do this, use one of the following commands:
- fdisk -l | grep /dev
- tail -f /var/logs/messages
- Create a file system on the volume. For example, run the mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdc command.
- Mount the volume. For example, run the mkdir /data1 command or the mount /dev/sdc/data1 command.
Other Linux iSCSI Commands
Check current iSCSI sessions
iscsiadm -m session -P 1
Log on to an iSCSI target
iscsiadm -m node -login <TARGET IP>
Log off from an iSCSI target
iscsiadm -m node -logout <TARGET IP>
Delete an iSCSI target
iscsiadm -m node -o delete <TARGET IP>The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.
Article ID: 2958300 - Last Review: 06/20/2014 15:42:00 - Revision: 2.0
Microsoft Azure StorSimple Appliance
- kbexpertiseadvanced kbsurveynew kbtshoot kbhowto KB2958300