Power/shutdown button may be missing from the Windows 8.1 start screen
|Device type||Supports Connected Standby||Screen size||Show power/shutdown button by default||Default behavior is customizable by the manufacturer|
|All other devices||Doesn't matter||All sizes||Yes||Yes|
Note An entry of "Slate" in the Device type column means that the hardware reported a Power_Platform_Role of PlatformRoleSlate. To determine what a system is reporting, run the powercfg /energy command, and then notice what is listed for Platform Role in the output.
Example Microsoft Surface behavior for new installations is as follows:
- Surface RT or Surface 2: No power button on start screen
- Surface 3: No power button on start screen
- Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2: Power button on start screen
- Surface Pro 3: No power button on start screen
To change the default behavior when Windows images are being deployed, IT professionals should set the Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup | ShowPowerButtonOnStartScreen Unattend.xml setting for new installations.
Article ID: 2959188 - Last Review: 10/20/2015 16:12:00 - Revision: 11.0
- kbsurveynew kbhowto kbexpertiseinter KB2959188