INFO: How to Install the Debug Symbols for Use with Visual Studio Products
Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows MeYou debug programs on a computer running Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me differently than how you debug programs on a computer running Windows NT or Windows 2000. The symbol files are in a different format. The symbols (.sym files) that are used by the Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me systems cannot be read by other debuggers (for example, windbg, cdb, and msdev). These symbols must be used with the Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me debugger (wdeb386/wdeb98/debugger.exe).
To debug a program on a computer that is running Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me, you have two choices, as follow:
2. If the program has .sym files that the Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me debugger can load, then load those symbols in the debugger. Run the program under the debugger until the crash occurs, and then debug it. The Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me debugger is not kernel-mode-only, as is the Kernel Debugger.
Windows NT 4.0When you install Visual Studio, you also install the debug symbols of the Windows NT 4.0 base version. If you install any service packs on Windows NT 4.0, the correct symbols will not be installed.
During the last stage of the Microsoft Visual C++ installation, you receive the following message:
For easier application debugging, it is strongly recommended that you install these files. See the Visual C++ Readme file for more information.
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0, point to Microsoft Visual Studio, and then click Windows NT Symbols Setup.
- Please insert the VC 6 CD_ROM disk into Your CD-ROM drive. Select Continue to proceed with the installationThe CD requested is installation disk Number One from Visual Studio or Visual C++ stand-alone.
- The CD requested is installation disk Number One from Visual Studio or Visual C++ stand-alone.
Then you receive another error message, as follows:
Windows 2000On systems that are running Windows 2000, you receive the following error message when you try to install the symbols from the Start-Programs-Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0-Visual Studio 6.0 Tools-Windows NT Symbols Setup link:
For the current debug files and tools, visit the following Microsoft Web sites:
NOTE: The installation information link shows you how to locate the .dbg files on the installation CD.
Article ID: 296110 - Last Review: 12/06/2015 02:03:47 - Revision: 3.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbinfo kbsetup KB296110