A User Account Does Not Appear in the User Accounts Tool
This article was previously published under Q297221
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
An existing user account may not appear in the User Accounts tool in Control Panel, or on the Welcome screen. You may also receive the following error message when you attempt to create a new account:
The account already exists
This behavior occurs because you have disabled the account. Disabled user accounts do not appear in the User Accounts tool, or on the Welcome logon screen. You can only access these accounts in the Local Users and Groups snap-in.
To resolve this behavior, first determine whether an account is not active:
- Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
- Expand the Local Users and Groups node.
- Click Users.
- Double click the account.
- Click to clear the Account is disabled check box.
Article ID: 297221 - Last Review: 12/06/2015 02:22:29 - Revision: 1.2
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbenv kbprb KB297221