This article describes the set of batch files that you can run from a central location to stop and disable the Computer Browser service on all Windows NT Workstations and Windows NT-based member servers in a domain.
In addition to three batch files, you need the following utilities from the Windows NT Server Resource Kit:
How to Stop the Computer Browser Service
- Create a Member.bat, Stopbrow.bat, and Stopbrow2.bat batch file.
Code for the Member.bat File
NETDOM MEMBER > MEMBER.TXT
FOR /F "skip=6 tokens=4" %%i IN (MEMBER.TXT) DO ECHO %%i >> SERVERS.TXT
Code for the Stopbrow.bat File
FOR /F "tokens=1" %%i IN (SERVERS.TXT) DO call stopbrow2.bat %%i
Code for the Stopbrow2.bat File
echo Processing computer %1 >> output.txt
NETSVC /STOP %1 BROWSER >> output.txt
REG UPDATE HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Start=4 %1 >> output.txt
- Place the three preceding batch files and resource kit utilities into a folder, and then place the folder on the computer that is to run the batch files. This computer must be a member of the domain where you want to disable the Computer Browser service.
- Run the Member.bat file, which creates two text files: Member.txt and Servers.txt. The Servers.txt file includes a list of all of the workstations and member servers in the domain. This file can serve as the list of targets for the Stopbrow.bat batch file.
- Run the Stopbrow.bat file. This file examines the list of computers that are listed in the Servers.txt file, and then calls the Stopbrow2.bat file to stop, and then disable the Computer Browser service on each computer. The results of this process are logged to the Output.txt file, which can be reviewed to determine the computers that had been successfully processed.
For additional information about automating tasks with batch files in Windows NT 4.0, click the article number below
to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Using Batch Files to Automate Networking Tasks
Article ID: 297789 - Last Review: November 1, 2006 - Revision: 1.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition