PPT97: PowerPoint 97 SR-2b Security Update: Parsing Vulnerability
This article was previously published under Q299368
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Malicious hackers can lure users into opening a PowerPoint file that causesundesired and possibly damaging effects on the user's hard disk drive. Thespecific symptoms vary according to the malicious code.
To resolve this problem, install the Microsoft PowerPoint 97 SR-2b Parsing Vulnerability Update. This update is designed to patch Microsoft Office 97 Service Release 2b (SR-2b) installations.
NOTE: To use the PowerPoint 97 SR-2b Parsing Vulnerability Security Update, you must have installed Office 97 SR-2b. You can determine if you have the correct version installed by clicking About Microsoft PowerPoint on the Help menu in PowerPoint 97. The version number appears in the first line of text in the dialog box. If you are using a version of PowerPoint 97 that is earlier than Microsoft PowerPoint 97 SR-2b, you need to download SR-2 and reinstall it. You do not need to uninstall the earlier version of SR-2. For additional information about how to obtain and install SR-2b, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
151261 OFF97: How to Obtain and Install MS Office 97 SR-2
To install the PowerPoint 97 SR-2b Parsing Vulnerability Update, follow these steps:
- Download the Ppt97sec.exe file from the following Microsoft Web site:
- After you download the updated security patch, double-click the Ppt97sec.exe file to start the installation program. Click Yes when you receive the following message:This program will install the PowerPoint 97 SR-2b Security Update. Do you want to continue?
- Click Yes to accept the License Agreement.
- After the update is installed, click OK when you receive the following message:The update was applied successfully.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
More information about this update is available in the following Microsoft Security Bulletin:
hack security ppt97 ppt9 update patch
Article ID: 299368 - Last Review: 10/23/2013 19:56:36 - Revision: 1.3
Microsoft PowerPoint 97 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbdownload kbdownload kbbug kbfaq kbfix kbofficeupdate KB299368