You receive an error message when you try to receive e-mail messages in Outlook Express
This article was previously published under Q299496
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
For information about the differences between Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express e-mail clients, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
OL2000: Differences Between Outlook and Outlook Express
Editor's note: This article also applies to Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0.
When you attempt to receive an e-mail message in Outlook Express, the following error message may appear:
An unknown error has occurred. Account: account name, Server: server name, Protocol: POP3, Port:110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x80004005
This behavior can occur because of a corrupted .mbx file, typically the Inbox.
To resolve this behavior, rename the affected .mbx file, and then restart Outlook Express:
- Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
- In the Named box, type Inbox.mbx or Inbox.dbx.
- In the Look in box, click your primary hard disk (usually drive C), and then click Find Now.
- Right-click the Inbox.mbx file that appears or the Inbox.dbx file that appears, and then click Rename.
- Type Inbox.old, and then click OK.
- Restart Outlook Express.
Article ID: 299496 - Last Review: 12/06/2015 02:48:06 - Revision: 2.5
- Microsoft Outlook Express 4.01 Service Pack 1
- Microsoft Outlook Express 4.01 Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kberrmsg kbnetwork kbprb KB299496