You receive an error message when you try to receive e-mail messages in Outlook Express
This article was previously published under Q299496
For information about the differences between Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express e-mail clients, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
OL2000: Differences Between Outlook and Outlook Express
Editor's note: This article also applies to Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0.
When you attempt to receive an e-mail message in Outlook Express, the following error message may appear:
An unknown error has occurred. Account: account name, Server: server name, Protocol: POP3, Port:110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x80004005
This behavior can occur because of a corrupted .mbx file, typically the Inbox.
To resolve this behavior, rename the affected .mbx file, and then restart Outlook Express:
- Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
- In the Named box, type Inbox.mbx or Inbox.dbx.
- In the Look in box, click your primary hard disk (usually drive C), and then click Find Now.
- Right-click the Inbox.mbx file that appears or the Inbox.dbx file that appears, and then click Rename.
- Type Inbox.old, and then click OK.
- Restart Outlook Express.
Article ID: 299496 - Last Review: 02/26/2007 08:04:06 - Revision: 2.5
- Microsoft Outlook Express 4.01 Service Pack 1
- Microsoft Outlook Express 4.01 Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5
- kberrmsg kbnetwork kbprb KB299496