How To Install Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 5 in Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000
This article was previously published under Q299800
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
IN THIS TASK
Any time you install a Visual Studio 6.0 product, Microsoft recommends that you also install the latest service pack for Visual Studio 6.0, which is currently Service Pack 5. This article illustrates how to download and install Service Pack 5 for Visual Studio 6.0.
back to the top
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later. Internet Explorer 5.0 is available on the Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 5 CD, or you can download the latest version of Internet Explorer from the following Microsoft Web site:
- For the Microsoft Windows NT operating system, Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a or later is recommended and is available from the following Microsoft Web site:
Download Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 5If you already have a CD that contains Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 5, proceed to the "Install Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 5" section.
- Before you start the download, create a new folder on your computer as follows:
- Right-click Start, and then click Explore.
- In Windows Explorer, click the drive letter to which you will install the service pack.
- On the File menu, point to New, and click Folder to create a new folder.
- Type VS6SP5 to name the folder, and then press the ENTER key.
- Open your Web browser, and type http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa718363.aspx in the address bar.
- Click download, which appears as a hyperlink in the first paragraph.
- Choose the download version that is appropriate for you based on the criteria that is listed, click a language in the drop-down list box, and then click Go.
- At the end of the page, choose whether to download the single file or multiple files based on your Internet connection speed (the criteria for which is listed in the online documentation). Click each of the hyperlinks under Multi-part Download, or click the single link under Single Download to begin downloading.
- When the download software prompts you, click Save this program to disk, and then click OK. Save the program to the VS6SP5 folder that you created earlier.
- After the download has completed, open the VS6SP5 folder. Double-click each of the vs6sp5x.exe icons (or, if you downloaded the single file version, double-click the single vs6sp5.exe icon).
- When you are prompted to type the location where you want to place the extracted files, click Browse, and browse to the VS6SP5 folder that you created. Click OK, and the files in that folder expand.
Install Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 5
- Access Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 5 setup in one of the following ways:
- Open the VS6SP5 folder to which you extracted the files.
- If you are installing from the CD that contains Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 5, insert the CD into the CD-ROM drive, right-click Start, and then click Explore. In Windows Explorer, double-click the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive. The CD path is \\<languageversion>\VS60SP5.
- Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) version 2.5 or later is required for Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 5.For additional information about how to determine which version of MDAC is installed, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:301202 How To Check for MDAC VersionIf you already have MDAC 2.5 or later installed, proceed to step 3. If not, double-click MDAC_typ.exe in the folder to which the files were extracted. If you are installing from a CD, MDAC_typ.exe is located in the \\<languageversion>\VB60SP5\MDAC folder.
- Run SetupSP5.exe from the VS6SP5 folder. When you accept the terms of the electronic End User License Agreement (EULA), the setup software replaces the appropriate files in your Visual Studio 6.0 installation.
Additional NotesTip: For Enterprise customers to save time, Microsoft recommends that you copy the downloaded files to a share folder on your network. This enables your developers to begin at Section 3, Step 2 of this article, which saves a considerable amount of download time.
back to the top
For more information, see the following MSDN Web site:
Service Pack 5 Downloadsback to the top
Article ID: 299800 - Last Review: 12/06/2015 02:53:26 - Revision: 7.0
Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowto kbhowtomaster KB299800