Microsoft Works Suite 2000 and Microsoft Works Suite 2001 use Microsoft Word 2000 as their word processor. If you choose to upgrade to Microsoft Word 2002, the following changes take place:
- The Format Gallery is no longer available.
- When you click the Mail-merge documents task, a blank Word 2002 document opens, but no Mail Merge Wizard appears.
- You can no longer perform a mail merge of the Windows Address Book.
This article discusses workarounds for these issues.
The Works Suite Format Gallery is not available in Word 2002. The workaround is to use Word 2002 Theme selections. To do this, in the Word 2002 document, click Format
, and then click Theme
Mail Merge Documents
Perform a Mail Merge on a Works Database File
To merge a Works database from Word 2002, use the merge features in Word. When prompted to select recipients, choose your Works database. For example, to create a mail-merge letter, follow these steps:
- Open the Word 2002 document.
- On the Tools menu, point to Letters and Mailings, and then click Mail Merge Wizard.
- In the Mail Merge task pane on the right, click Letters.
- At the bottom of the Mail Merge task pane, click Next: Starting document.
- At the bottom of the Mail Merge task pane, click Next: Select recipients.
- Under Select recipients, click Use an existing list.
- Under Use an existing list, click Browse.
- Locate your Works database, select it, and then click Open.
At this time a Mail Merge Recipients dialog box appears. This dialog box presents options to mark records, sort records, create filters and perform other tasks.
- Make your selections, and then click OK.
- Click Next: Write your letter.
- To insert your field names, click More items in the Mail Merge task pane.
- Under Fields, click the field name, and then click Insert. Repeat for each field you want to insert.
- Click Close.
- Click Next: Preview your letters.
- After you finish editing, click Next: Complete the merge.
You can now edit individual letters or print.
Perform Mail Merge by Using the Windows Address Book
Works Suite 2000 and Works Suite 2001 offer the ability to merge the Windows Address Book with Word 2000. Word 2002 does not support merging with the Windows Address Book. However, there are two ways you can work around this issue.
Option 1: Export Windows Address Book as a Text File (Comma-Separated Values)
You can export the Windows Address Book contents as a text file, and then use this file to perform a mail merge in Word 2002. To export the Address Book, follow these steps:
- In the Address Book, point to Export on the File menu, and then click Other Address Book.
- Select Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Export.
- Type the name of the file to be saved, and then click Next.
- Select the fields that you want to export, and then click Finish.
Option 2: Reinstall Word 2000
Word 2000 and Word 2002 can coexist on your computer. If you removed Word 2000 when you installed Word 2002, follow the steps to rename the existing shortcuts to Word 2002, and then follow the steps to install Word 2000 from the Works Suite 2001 Setup launcher in Add/Remove Programs.
If you chose to keep all earlier versions when upgrading to Word 2002, follow the steps to create a shortcut to Word 2000.
Rename the Existing Shortcuts to Word 2002
Install Word 2000
- If you do not have a Word 2002 icon on your desktop, proceed to step 2. If you do have Word 2002 icon on your desktop, follow these steps:
- Right-click the Word 2002 icon on your desktop, and then click Rename.
- Type Word 2002, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click Start, and then click Open.
- Double-click Programs.
- Right-click Microsoft Word, and then click Rename.
- Repeat step b.
- If you have a Word 2002 icon in the Quick Launch bar, follow these steps:
- Right-click the Word 2002 icon, and then click Rename.
- Type "Word 2002" without the quotes, and then press ENTER.
Create a Shortcut to Word 2000
- Insert the Works Suite installation Disk 1.
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Double-click Microsoft Works 2001 Setup Launcher.
- Click Custom.
- Click Microsoft Word, and then follow the onscreen instructions.
- Click Start, point to Find (or Search), and then click Files or Folders (or click For Files and Folders).
- In the Named (or Search for files or folders named) box, type winword.exe.
- In the Look in box, select My Computer.
- Click Find Now or Search Now.
- Right-click Winword.exe that has the following In Folder path
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office
Click Send To, and then click Desktop (create shortcut).
NOTE: It is assumed you have installed Word 2000 in the default installation path.
- Close Find program.
- Double-click the new icon to open Word 2000.Note: A small dialog box appears to reinstall the Word 2000 registry components. By opening Word 2000, this will re-establish this version of Word with the Works Task Launcher. You can now use the task launcher to mail merge the Windows Address Book with this version of Word. When you click any of the icons for Word 2002, this same dialog box will appear to reinstall the Word 2002 registry components. This will then place Word 2002 back into the Works Task Launcher.
For additional information about running existing multiple versions of Microsoft Office programs, click the article number below
to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
OFFXP: Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Office
Article ID: 300156 - Last Review: January 31, 2007 - Revision: 2.2
- Microsoft Works Suite 2001
- Microsoft Works Suite 2000
- Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition