When you start an Office XP program, you receive the
Setup failed to locate a valid qualifying product on your machine.
Please select the drive where a qualifying product can be found.
When you click the drive letter that represents the location
where the earlier version Office product was installed from, and then click OK
, you receive the following error message:
Error 1608. Setup was unable to locate a qualifying product.
you click OK
, the program quits.
If one or more earlier versions of
Office were installed on your computer, those versions of Office are deleted.
This behavior occurs when all the following conditions are
- You installed an upgrade version of the Office XP
- During installation, you did not type the product key in
the User Information dialog box.
- You chose to remove programs of an earlier version of
NOTE: The Upgrade Now option automatically removes earlier versions of Office programs
that correspond to the Office XP programs that are being installed.
- You started an Office XP program, typed the product key in
the User Information dialog box, and then clicked OK.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Start any Office XP program.
- When prompted, type the product key for Office XP, and then
- In the Product Compliance Check dialog box, click the Drive list, and then select your CD-ROM drive.
- Eject the Office XP CD, and then insert the CD for the
qualifying product in the CD-ROM drive on your computer.
- Wait 30 seconds to allow the CD-ROM drive to spin up and
recognize the new CD that you inserted.
- Click OK in the Product Compliance Check dialog box.
If you do not have a valid qualifying product, return the
Office XP Upgrade product, and purchase a full retail version of the Office XP
For additional information
about the list of qualifying products for the Office XP
Upgrade, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Products that qualify for the Microsoft Office XP upgrade
additional information about upgrading from earlier versions of Office, click
the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
OFFXP: Setup May Remove Earlier Versions of Office
Article ID: 300655 - Last Review: December 4, 2007 - Revision: 1.5
- Microsoft Office XP Professional Edition
- Microsoft Office XP Small Business Edition
- Microsoft Office XP Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office XP Standard Edition for Students and Teachers
- Microsoft Office XP Developer Edition
- Microsoft Access 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft FrontPage 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Outlook 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition
|kbstartprogram kbtshoot kberrmsg kbprb KB300655|