OFFXP: Dictation Mode Does Not Start When You Start Speech Recognition
This article was previously published under Q302598
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
After you complete the training for your speech recognition profile and then click Dictation on the Language bar to start dictating, the speech recognition bubble displays "Starting Speech". However, Dictation mode does not start and does not allow you to dictate your text.
NOTE: Handwriting recognition tools (for example, Drawing Pad, Writing Pad, and Write Anywhere) also may not start (the toolbars do not appear), and you cannot use your mouse to write.
This problem can occur when Instant Access from one of the following programs is loaded (running) on your computer:
- Text Bridge Pro 9.0
- Text Bridge Pro Millennium 9.5
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
To work around this problem, disable Instant Access that was installed by your Text Bridge program. To do this, follow these steps.
For Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), and Microsoft Windows XP
- Click Start and then click Run. In the Open box, type MSCONFIG.EXE and then click OK.
- On the Startup tab, click to clear the Instant Access check box, and then click OK.
NOTE: On the General tab, Windows automatically selects the Selective Startup option.
- Click Yes to restart your computer.
For Microsoft Windows 2000WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
- Click Start and then click Run. In the Open box, type Regedt32.exe and then click OK.
- Select the following key in the Windows registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run
- On the Registry menu, click Save Subtree As.
- In the Save As dialog box, type a file name to save the registry key, and then click Save.
- With the Run key selected, select Instant Access and then click Delete on the Edit menu.
- Click Yes to the following message:Registry Editor will delete the currently selected value entry.
Do you want to continue the operation?
- On the Registry menu, click Exit to close the Registry Editor.
- Restart your computer.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
prb OFFXP WD2002 XL2002 kbspeech speech to text
Article ID: 302598 - Last Review: 02/27/2014 21:09:14 - Revision: 3.1
Microsoft Excel 2002 Standard Edition, Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbbug KB302598