Error message when you start Word, Word shuts down
This article was previously published under Q302602
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you start Microsoft Word 2000, you may receive the following error message:
This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.
If you click Details
, the following information is displayed:
Winword caused an invalid page fault in module Mso9.dll at 015f:308c9c03.
The following files may be corrupted:
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- On the taskbar, click Start, point to Find, and then click Files and Folders.
- On the Name & Location tab, type mso9.dll in the Named box, and then click Find Now.
- In the list of files found, right-click mso9.dll, and then click Rename. Type mso9.old, and then press ENTER.
- Repeat steps 1 through 3 to find the Winword.exe file and rename it to Winword.old. Close the Find dialog box.
- On the taskbar, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- On the Install/Uninstall tab, click Microsoft Office 2000 in the list of installed programs, and then click Add/Remove.
- In the Maintenance Mode dialog box, click Repair Office.
- In the Reinstall or Repair dialog box, click Repair errors in my Office installation, and then click Finish.
Article ID: 302602 - Last Review: 10/25/2013 21:57:00 - Revision: 3.0
Microsoft Word 2000
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbstartprogram kbtshoot kberrmsg kbprb KB302602