You receive an "Error 1603 Error_Install_Failure" error message when you try to use a feature that is not installed in PowerPoint 2000
This article was previously published under Q302777
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
WARNING:This information is preliminary and has not been confirmed or tested by Microsoft. Use only with discretion.
When you try to use a feature in Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 that is not installed, you are prompted to insert the Microsoft Office 2000 CD-ROM. When you insert the CD-ROM, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following:
Error 1603 Error_Install_Failure
This behavior occurs when all the following conditions are true:
- You have Microsoft Office Standard, Professional, or Small Business Edition installed on your computer.
- You then install a different edition but the same version of Office -- either Office Professional or Premium Edition.
- When you attempt to use a feature that is not installed, you insert the most recently used Microsoft Office CD-ROM into the computer.
To work around this issue, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Insert the Earlier Office CD-ROMWhen you are prompted for an Office CD-ROM, use the appropriate disc from the first Microsoft Office edition that was installed on the computer.
Method 2: Reinstall OfficeFollow these steps to reinstall the most recent edition of Microsoft Office:
- Insert the Office CD-ROM that was installed last.
- Click Start, click Run, and then type MSIEXEC /i drive:\data1.msi reinstall=all reinstallmode=vomus in the Open box, where drive is the letter of your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
- Click OK.
Article ID: 302777 - Last Review: 12/06/2015 03:39:08 - Revision: 1.5
Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 Standard Edition, Microsoft Office 2000 Premium Edition, Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Edition, Microsoft Office 2000 Standard Edition, Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition, Microsoft Office 2000 Developer Edition, Microsoft Access 2000 Standard Edition, Microsoft Excel 2000 Standard Edition, Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Standard Edition, Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition, Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbsetup kbtshoot kberrmsg kbprb KB302777