Microsoft has released an update to Microsoft Outlook 2002. This update includes improvements that were developed as a direct result of customer error reports. This update also addresses security issues with the Outlook View control and other issues listed in this article.
This article describes how to download and install the Outlook 2002 Public Update: August 16, 2001.NOTE
: This Public Update is part of the Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 1 (SP-1), but for your convenience the Public Update also is available individually, as described in the "More Information" section of this article. If you already applied Office XP SP-1, you do not need to apply this Public Update.
For additional information about the latest service pack for Microsoft Office XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
OFFXP: How to obtain the latest Office XP Service Pack
How to Download and Install the Update
If you installed Office XP from a CD-ROM, you have two options:
- Use the Office Product Updates Web site to automatically install all of the latest updates that includes all available Service Packs and Public Updates.
- Install only the Public Update by using the steps described later.
Both options require that you have your Office XP CD-ROM available throughout the installation process.
Office Product Updates
To have the Office Product Updates Web site detect the required updates that you must install on your computer, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
After detection is complete, you receive a list of recommended updates for your approval. Click Start Installation
to complete the process.
Install Only Outlook 2002 Update
Follow these steps to download and install the client update:
- Using your Web browser, browse to the following Microsoft Web site:
Click here to download the Client Update
- Click Download Now. Click Save this program to disk, and then click OK.
- Click Save to save the Olk1003.exe file to the selected folder.
- In Windows Explorer, double-click Olk1003.exe.
- If you are prompted to install the update, click Yes.
- Click Yes to accept the License Agreement.
- Insert your Office XP CD-ROM when you are prompted to do so, and then click OK.
- When you receive a message that indicates that the installation was successful, click OK.
: After you install the public update, you cannot uninstall it.
For more information about the Client Patch, click the link below for the Office Tools on the Web article.
If you installed Outlook from a server location, the server administrator must update the server location with the administrative public update and deploy that update to your computer.
If you are the server administrator, follow these steps to download the administrative update:
- Browse to the following Microsoft Web site:
Click here to download the Administrative Update
- Download the file to your desktop.
- In Windows Explorer, double-click the Olk1003a.exe file.
- Click Yes to accept the License Agreement.
- In the Please type the location where you want to place the extracted files box, type C:\Olk1003a , and then click OK.
- Click Yes when you are prompted to create the folder.
- At this point, you must apply the three .msp files in the C:\Olk1003a folder. On the Start menu, click Run. Type the following command in the Open box
msiexec /a admin path\MSI file /p C:\OLK1003a\outlook_admin.msp SHORTFILENAMES=1
where admin path is the path to your administrative installation point for Office XP (for example, C:\OfficeXP), and where MSI file is the MSI database package for the Office XP product (for example, ProPlus.msi).
After this command is finished, you must run two more commands:
msiexec /a admin path\MSI file /p C:\OLK1003a\outlmime_admin.msp SHORTFILENAMES=1
msiexec /a admin path\MSI file /p C:\OLK1003a\outlctl_admin.msp SHORTFILENAMES=1
- To deploy the update to the client workstations, click Start and then click Run. Type the following command in the Open box
msiexec /i admin path\MSI file REINSTALL=OUTLOOKNonBootFiles,OUTLOOKFiles,OutlookImportExportFiles REINSTALLMODE=vomus /q
where admin path is the path to your administrative installation point for Office XP (for example, \\server\share\OfficeXP), and where MSI file is the MSI database package for the Office XP product (for example, ProPlus.msi).
For additional information about how to update your administrative installation and deploy to client workstations, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to install a public update to administrative installations of Office XP
This article contains standard instructions for installing an administrative public update.
Or, you can refer to the following article in the Microsoft Office XP Resource Kit: http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/xp/journ/olxp8-16.htm
How to Determine Whether the Public Update Is Installed
After the update is applied, the version of Outlook shown in the About Microsoft Outlook
dialog box (on the Help
menu) is 10.3117.2625.
This update makes changes to the following files.
File Updated version ------------------------------ Outlctl.dll 10.0.3124 Outllib.dll 10.0.3117 Outlmime.dll 10.0.2909 Exsec32.dll 10.0.3117 Rm.dll 10.0.3012
Issues Fixed by the Update
The update fixes the issues described in the following Knowledge Base articles:
OL2002: The Outlook View Control exposes unsafe functionality
FIX: Sort Method May Sort Incorrectly with Recurring Appointments
Other Issues Fixed by this Update
In addition, the following issues are also fixed.
Excessive DS RPC After Saving a New Contact Item
Excessive DS RPC occurs after you save a new contact item with e-mail address in an Exchange Server mail account.
Free/Busy Information Is Not Available When You Use MSAA
When you rest your mouse pointer over the Scheduling
tab in the meeting planner, the attendees are not listed.
Clicking Cancel on an Attachment Warning Sends the Message
When you attempt to send a Level 1 unsafe attachment, and you press ESC when you are prompted to send the message anyway, the message is sent.
This update addresses the following error signatures.
App Name App Version Module Name Module Version Offset--------------------------------------------------------------------------outlook.exe 10.0.2616.0 outllib.dll 10.0.2627.0 0036919aoutlook.exe 10.0.2627.1 outllib.dll 10.0.2627.1 000203e7outlook.exe 10.0.2627.1 mso.dll 10.0.2625.0 000148e7outlook.exe 10.0.2627.1 outllib.dll 10.0.2627.1 0024ce7boutlook.exe 10.0.2627.1 outllib.dll 10.0.2627.1 002bf3e7outlook.exe 10.0.2616.0 outllib.dll 10.0.2627.0 0036919aoutlook.exe 10.0.2627.1 outllib.dll 10.0.2627.1 000bde82