You can't see contact photos in Outlook, Skype for Business or Lync
In Microsoft Outlook 2010 and later versions, you discover that contact photos are missing from email messages and from contacts in the global address list (GAL). The following screen shots show an example of this issue in Outlook 2016.
You expect the contact photo to be displayed in Outlook, resembling the following.
You also discover that contact photos are missing in Skype for Business or Lync, as shown in the following screen shot.
This issue occurs when the Show user photographs when available check box is cleared in the Outlook Options dialog box.
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Outlook Options
- On the File menu in Outlook, click Options, and then click People (or Contacts in Outlook 2010).
- Enable the Show user photographs when available check box.
- Click OK.
- Close and restart Outlook, and Skype for Business or Lync.
Method 2: Group Policy
If you are using Group Policy to manage this setting, disable the Do not display photograph policy setting.
To update an existing policy that's configured to disable the Show user photographs when available option, follow these steps:
- Start the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC).
- Under User Configuration, expand Administrative Templates to locate the policy node for your template.
- When you are using the Office16.admx and Office16.adml templates, this node is named Microsoft Office 2016.
- When you are using the Office15.admx and Office15.adml templates, this node is named Microsoft Office 2013.
- Under Contact Card, double-click Do not display photograph.
- Select Disabled or Not Configured, and then click OK.
- Click OK for the rest of the dialog boxes.
The Do not display photograph setting is managed by the following registry data:
- Without Group Policy:
- With Group Policy:
Note The x.0 placeholder represents your version of Office (16.0 = Office 2016, 15.0 = Office 2013, 14.0 = Office 2010).
Article ID: 3049193 - Last Review: 10/23/2015 22:47:00 - Revision: 6.0
Outlook 2016, Microsoft Outlook 2013, Microsoft Outlook 2010, Skype for Business, Microsoft Lync 2013, Microsoft Lync 2010