HOW TO: Enable Remote Assistance in Windows XP
This article was previously published under Q305608
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
IN THIS TASK
Sometimes the best way to fix a problem is to have someone show you how. The Remote Assistance feature in Windows XP is a convenient way for an administrator to connect to your computer and walk you through the solution. After connecting to your computer, an administrator can view your screen and chat online with you about what you both see. With your permission, the administrator can use his or her mouse and keyboard to work with you on your computer.
back to the top
Enabling Remote Assistance in Control Panel
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
- Click the Remote tab.
- Verify that the Allow Remote Assistance invitations to be sent from this computer check box is selected.
- Click Advanced to set the amount of time that you want to enable access to your computer.
- If you want the user who connects to take control of your computer, click to select the Allow this computer to be controlled remotely check box.
- Click OK.
Enable Remote Assistance in the RegistryWARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit.exe, and then click OK to start Registry Editor.
- Locate and click the following key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server
- Double-click the AllowTSConnections value.
NOTE: If this value does not exist, create it as a DWORD value.
- Set the AllowTSConnections value to 1 to enable connections, or set it to 0 to deny connections.
- Click OK.
- Quit Registry Editor. Remote Assistance is enabled immediately; there is no need to restart the computer.
Article ID: 305608 - Last Review: 12/06/2015 04:44:17 - Revision: 1.1
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowto kbhowtomaster KB305608