How to run a Fiddler Trace by using Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services
- Review the email that you received that's titled "Microsoft support incident: XXXXXXXXXX." Open an InPrivate browser window by starting Internet Explorer and then typing Ctrl+Shift+P. Then, copy and paste the link from the email.
- When you're prompted, click Run.
- Read the following screen. This explains the tool’s use and usage terms.
- After you accept the terms, click Start. You are prompted to grant administrative credentials to continue.
- Click Next to let the tool collect diagnostic details of the server and then make preparations to begin the network diagnostics.
- If you have run this program before or installed the stand-alone Fiddler tools, you may be prompted to remove those certificates if they were not correctly removed during the last test. Click Next.
- Click Next to begin the network trace.
- Click Yes to install the certificate that's required for Fiddler to decode the HTTPS traffic. If you don't see the Security Warning pane, look for the associated icon on your taskbar to continue. The pane may have gone into the background.
- When the following screen appears, perform the steps to reproduce the issue. When the repro process is completed, click Stop Capture and Collect Data.
- The tool will collect data and then prompt you to remove the certificate from the server.
- After the certificate is removed, you are prompted to set a password. This is used to encrypt the captured data and to prepare the data to be transferred on the Internet. Later, Microsoft Support will use this password to review the data.
- After you enter a password, a list of diagnostic information that's been collected is displayed. These are the items that will be sent to Microsoft. Click Next.
- Click Save a copy if you want, and then click Send to transfer the results to Microsoft Support.
- This process is now completed. Contact us by telephone to verbally provide the password to the engineer that you are working with. Do not send the password in the email for your service request.
Article ID: 3056890 - Last Review: 03/29/2016 08:57:00 - Revision: 2.0
- vkbportal226 kbgraphxlink kbgraphic KB3056890