HOW TO: Use the Desktop Cleanup Wizard in Windows XP
This article was previously published under Q306542
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article describes how to use the Desktop Cleanup Wizard to remove unwanted shortcuts from your Microsoft Windows XP desktop.
back to the top
Use the Desktop Cleanup WizardTo start the Desktop Cleanup Wizard:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes under Pick a category.
- Under or pick a Control Panel icon, click Display.
The Display Properties dialog box is displayed.
- In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Desktop tab, and then click Customize Desktop.
The Desktop Items dialog box is displayed.
- Under Desktop cleanup, click to clear the Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days check box if you do not want the Desktop Cleanup Wizard to automatically start every 60 days.
- Click Clean Desktop Now.
The Desktop Cleanup Wizard starts.
Remove Unwanted ShortcutsTo remove unwanted shortcuts:
- In the Welcome to the Desktop Cleanup Wizard dialog box, click Next.
- In the Shortcuts dialog box, a list of shortcuts are displayed in the Shortcut to Clean Up list. The shortcuts that you click are removed from the desktop and placed in the Unused Desktop Shortcuts folder on the Windows desktop. If you do not want a shortcut to be removed from the desktop, click to clear the check box for that shortcut, and then click Next when you are finished.
- In the Completing the Desktop Cleanup Wizard dialog box, view the items in the Shortcuts box to confirm that you want them removed from the desktop, and then click Finish.
The Desktop Cleanup Wizard moves the selected shortcuts to the Unused Desktop Shortcuts folder and then quits.
Restore ShortcutsIf a shortcut that you want is removed, follow these steps to restore the shortcut:
- On the desktop, double-click the Unused Desktop Shortcuts folder. The Unused Desktop Shortcuts dialog box is displayed.
NOTE: If the Unused Desktop Shortcuts dialog box is maximized, click the Restore Down button (appears to the left of the red Close button).
- Drag the shortcut that you want to the Windows desktop.
- Close the Unused Desktop Shortcuts dialog box.
Article ID: 306542 - Last Review: 12/06/2015 05:01:27 - Revision: 1.1
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbenv kbhowto kbhowtomaster KB306542