Description of the PowerPoint 2002 update: October 4, 2001
This article was previously published under Q306605
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Microsoft has released an update to Microsoft PowerPoint 2002. This update addresses a vulnerability that may allow malicious code to run in a PowerPoint file without warning. Under normal circumstances, you receive a warning in PowerPoint 2002 when you open a document containing macros. However, it is possible for a malicious user to modify the macros in such a way that a macro can run with no warning being issued. This may cause damage to data or allow unauthorized retrieval of data from your system when you visit a Web site or open an e-mail message. After you apply this update, a warning will appear before you open a PowerPoint file containing macros.
For more information on this issue, see the Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-50: Malformed Excel or PowerPoint Document Can Bypass Macro Security
This article explains how to download and install the Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 Update: October 4, 2001.
NOTE: This Public Update is part of the Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 1 (SP-1), but for your convenience the Public Update also is available individually, as described in the "More Information" section of this article. If you already applied Office XP SP-1, you do not need to apply this Public Update.
For more information about the latest service pack for Microsoft Office XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307841 How to obtain the latest Office XP service pack
How to Download and Install the Update
Client UpdateIf you installed Office XP from a CD-ROM, you have two options:
- Use the Office Product Updates Web site to automatically install all of the latest updates that includes all available Service Packs and Public Updates.-or-
- Install only the Public Update by using the steps described later.
Office Product UpdatesTo have the Office Product Updates Web site detect the required updates that you must install on your computer, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Install Only PowerPoint 2002 UpdateFollow these steps to download and install the client update:
- Use your Web browser to browse to the following Microsoft Web site:
- If you are prompted, click Download Now, click Save this program to disk, and then click OK. Or, click Save to save the Ppt1001.exe file to the selected folder.
- In Windows Explorer, double-click Ppt1001.exe.
- If you are prompted to install the update, click Yes.
- Click Yes to accept the License Agreement.
- Insert your Office XP CD-ROM into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive when you are prompted to do so, and then click OK.
- When you receive a message that indicates that the update was applied successfully, click OK.
For more information about the Client Patch, click the link below for the Office Tools on the Web article.
Administrative UpdateIf you installed Office XP from a server location, the server administrator must update the server location with the administrative public update and then deploy that update to your computer.
If you are the server administrator, follow these steps to download the administrative update:
- Browse to the following Microsoft Web site:
- Download the file to your desktop.
- In Windows Explorer, double-click the Ppt1001a.exe file.
- Click Yes to accept the License Agreement.
- In the Please type the location where you want to place the extracted files box, type C:\Ppt1001a, and then click OK.
- Click Yes when you are prompted to create the folder.
- Click Start and then click Run. Type the following command in the Open box msiexec /a admin path\MSI file /p C:\Ppt1001a\Powerpnt_admin.msp SHORTFILENAMES=1where admin path is the path to your administrative installation point for Office XP (for example, C:\OfficeXP), and where MSI file is the MSI database package for the Office XP product (for example, ProPlus.msi).
- To deploy the update to an existing client installation, click Start, and then click Run on the client computer. Type the following command in the Open box msiexec /i admin path\MSI file REINSTALL=PPTFiles REINSTALLMODE=vomuswhere admin path is the path to your administrative installation point for Office XP (for example, C:\OfficeXP), and where MSI file is the MSI database package for the Office XP product (for example, ProPlus.msi).NOTE: All features following the REINSTALL property are case-sensitive.
301348 How to install public updates to administrative installations of Office XPThis article contains standard instructions for installing an administrative public update.
Or, browse to the following article in the Microsoft Office XP Resource Kit:
How to Determine Whether the Public Update Is InstalledThe update replaces the Powerpnt.exe file. The version of PowerPoint 2002 that is displayed when you click About Microsoft PowerPoint on the Help menu is updated to 10.3207.2625.
Issues Fixed by the UpdateError in Slide Design Task Pane:
When you use the keyboard to navigate to the Slide Design task pane, scroll through all the templates, and then select a template, you may receive an error message. Then, PowerPoint quits.
Printed Presentation Contains Overlapped Text After Hyphens:
In some situations, PowerPoint overlaps text when printing. The overlapping text occurs after hyphens.
POWERPNT.EXE!DeviceList__Remove Error Message When You Attempt to Quit PowerPoint:
After you print a presentation to multiple printers, you may receive this error message when you attempt to quit PowerPoint.
Change in Binary File Can Bypass Macro Controls:
A PowerPoint presentation can be altered in such a way that the macros in the file will run without prompting a macro warning or being stopped by macro controls.
Error SignaturesThis update addresses the following error signatures:
App Name App Version Module Name Module Version Offset--------------------------------------------------------------------------powerpnt.exe 10.0.2623.0 ntdll.dll 5.0.2195.1600 00002460powerpnt.exe 10.0.2623.0 ntdll.dll 5.0.2195.2779 00003941powerpnt.exe 10.0.2623.0 ntdll.dll 5.1.2462.0 00001c12powerpnt.exe 10.0.2623.0 ntdll.dll 5.1.2505.0 00001c40powerpnt.exe 10.0.2623.0 ntdll.dll 5.1.2485.0 00016dcb
inf OFFXP fix list
Article ID: 306605 - Last Review: 10/25/2013 23:51:00 - Revision: 1.0
Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbemail kbmacro kbopenfile kbdownload kbsetup atdownload kbbug kbfix kbofficexpsp1fix KB306605