How to fax a scanned document or image in Windows XP
This article was previously published under Q306663
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
IN THIS TASK
This article describes how to fax a scanned document by using the Fax service in Microsoft Windows XP. To send a fax from within Windows XP, you must first enable and configure the Fax service. Note: To perform the following steps, you must have an imaging device installed on the computer.
back to the top
Scan and view the document
- Use your scanner or digital camera to create an image file. Save this file in the location that you want.
- Open the folder that contains the image file, and then double-click the image to start the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
- On the toolbar, click the Print button, which appears as a printer icon, or press CTRL+P. This starts the Photo Printing Wizard.
Select and format the image
- On the Welcome to the Photo Printing Wizard page, click Next.
- On the Picture Selection page, click to select the check box of the image that you want to print to Fax, and then click Next.
Note: The check box appears at the top-right corner of each image.
- On the Printing Options page, click Fax in the What printer do you want to use? list.
- To adjust the fax properties, click Printing Preferences. The Fax Properties dialog box appears. Select the properties that you want, and then click OK.
- On the Printing Options page, click Next.
- On the Layout Selection page, click the layout that you want in the Available layouts list, and then click Next.
The Photo Printing Wizard formats the picture and sends it to Fax. The Send Fax Wizard starts.
Create and send the fax
- On the Welcome to the Send Fax Wizard page, click Next.
- On the Recipient Information page, type the recipient name in the To box. Type the recipient fax number in the Fax number box, and then click Next.
Note: If you want to send the fax to more than one recipient, type the recipient information in the appropriate boxes, and then click the Add button. The recipient appears in the list, and the boxes are cleared so that you can enter additional recipient information.
When you have finished adding recipients, click Next.
- On the Preparing the Cover Page page, click the template that you want in the Cover page template list. If you want to edit the information that appears on the cover page, click the Sender Information button.
- Type the subject that you want to appear on the cover page of the fax in the Subject line box. Type a cover page note in the Note box. Click Next.
- On the Schedule page, click the time that you want to send the fax. For example, Now. Under What is the fax priority, click the priority that you want (a higher priority selection will allow this fax item to be sent before another similarly scheduled lower priority item), and then click Next.
- On the Completing the Send Fax Wizard page, confirm the selections, and then click Finish.
The Fax is sent at the time that you scheduled.
View the status of the faxYou can view the status of the fax in the Fax Console:
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, point to Fax, and then click Fax Console to open the Fax Console.
- In the left pane, expand the Fax folder (if it is not already expanded). The following folders are contained in the Fax folder:
- The Incoming folder contains faxes that are currently being received.
- The Inbox folder contains faxes that have been received.
- The Outbox folder contains faxes that are scheduled to be sent.
- The Sent Items folder contains faxes that have been successfully sent.
- In the left pane, click the folder that you want.
- In the right pane, right-click the fax that you want, and then click Properties.
- On the General tab, view the Status line. When you are finished, click Close.
For additional information, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
306550 How to enable and configure the Fax service in Windows XP
306657 How to send a fax in Windows XP
306661 How to fax a document from a Windows program in Windows XP
306662 How to receive a fax in Windows XP
back to the top
Article ID: 306663 - Last Review: 12/06/2015 05:05:19 - Revision: 2.5
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowtomaster KB306663