No Sound Playing an Audio CD in Analog Mode on USB Speakers
This article was previously published under Q306706
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
On computers with Universal Serial Bus (USB) speakers as the preferred audio output device, you may not hear any sound when you play CD audio in Analog mode. The master volume slider in Windows Media Player has no effect on the volume.
Analog CD audio cannot be output to USB speakers. USB speakers typically take digital input only.
To work around this behavior, use digital output or analog speakers.
To switch to digital CD playback:
- Start Windows Media Player.
- On the Tools menu, click Options.
- Click the Devices tab, and then click Properties for the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that you are using for playback.
- In the Playback section, click Digital.
- Click OK, and then restart the playback.
This behavior is by design.
for other considerations.
Article ID: 306706 - Last Review: 06/23/2010 18:11:00 - Revision: 4.0