The Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service Hangs While It Is Starting
This article was previously published under Q307309
This article applies to Windows 2000. Support for Windows 2000 ends on July 13, 2010. The Windows 2000 End-of-Support Solution Center is a starting point for planning your migration strategy from Windows 2000. For more information see the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy.
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Any of the following symptoms may occur:
- During the logon process, a long delay occurs during the "Applying personal settings" phase.
- While the "Preparing Network Connections" message is displayed, your computer seems to stop responding (hang) for several minutes.
- The desktop is displayed without icons for several minutes after you log on.
- You lose Internet connectivity.
- Random services are in a "Stopping" state.
- Random services are in a "Starting" state.
- You cannot view the properties for adapters by using either Network and Dial-up Connections or by right-clicking My Network Places and then clicking Properties.
- When you run the Internet Connection Wizard, it either hangs or does not work correctly with no error messages. If you examine the Internet Connection Wizard log file (Program Files\Microsoft BackOffice\Support\Icwlog.txt), you see the following line at the bottom of the log file: calling _RestartService (DNS).
- When you attempt to start or stop services, you receive either of the following error messages: Could not start the service name on Local Computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.-or-Could not stop the service name on Local Computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
- When you attempt to view or change the properties of a service in the Services snap-in, the snap-in hangs with a blank properties page.
- When you attempt to start Performance Monitor, it hangs.
- You cannot start the Add/Remove Programs tool.
- You cannot start the Microsoft Small Business Server (SBS) console.
- When you try to install a critical update or a Windows 2000 service pack, the installation program may stop responding, or "hang," and the installation may not be completed. The installation may stop responding during the "Inspecting your current configuration" phase. If you open Winmsd.exe (System Information), you see the following message:System Information The connection to could not be established. Check to see that the network path name is correct, that you have sufficient permission to access Windows Management Instrumentation, and that the Windows Management Instrumentation service is started on the computer.
The symptoms that are listed in the "Symptoms" section of this article can occur if the Logical Disk Manager Administrative service is set to a startup type of Automatic instead of the default setting of Manual.
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To resolve this issue, set the startup type for the Logical Disk Manager Administrative service to Manual. You must make this change in the registry instead of in Microsoft Management Console (MMC) because of the problems that are caused by the incorrect setting. To change the setting:
- Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
- Locate the Start value under the following key in the registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\dmadmin
- Double-click the Start value in the right pane. Change the data value to 3. Click OK to save the changes.
- Quit Registry Editor.
- Reboot the computer.
This behavior is by design.
The Logical Disk Manager Administrative service is started only when the Disk Management snap-in is in use.
sbs smallbiz bos backoffice back office hung unresponsive not responding
Article ID: 307309 - Last Review: 12/06/2015 05:23:09 - Revision: 5.4
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbenv kbprb KB307309