Resources for Troubleshooting Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
IN THIS ARTICLE
back to the top
Problems Addressed in the Internet Connection Sharing TroubleshooterThe Internet Connection Sharing Troubleshooter includes step-by-step instructions for troubleshooting the following Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) problems in Windows XP:
- You cannot receive e-mail messages on an Internet Connection Sharing client computer.
- Your Internet Connection Sharing client or host computer dials out without notifying you.
- Internet Connection Sharing does not automatically dial.
- You need Setup information for Internet Connection Sharing.
- Your digital subscriber line (DSL) or cable modem Internet connection is slow.
- You cannot browse the Internet from an Internet Connection Sharing host computer.
- You cannot browse the Internet from an Internet Connection Sharing client computer.
Starting the Internet Connection Sharing TroubleshooterIf you are already familiar with Windows XP Help and Support Center, you can start the Internet Connection Sharing Troubleshooter automatically by clicking here.
If you are not yet familiar with Windows XP Help and Support Center, we recommend that you start the Internet Connection Sharing Troubleshooter by using these steps (to help you become familiar with this feature):
- Click Start, and then click Help and Support.
- Under Pick a Help Topic, click Fixing a problem.
- In the left pane, click Networking problems.
- In the right pane, click Internet Connection Sharing Troubleshooter.
Using the Internet Connection Sharing Troubleshooter
- Click the option that describes the problem that is occurring, and then click Next.
- Repeat step 1 until your problem is resolved or you have reached the end of the troubleshooting path. Note that you can click Back at any time to repeat the last step, or click Start Over to start the Internet Connection Sharing Troubleshooter again.
Recommended Microsoft Knowledge Base ArticlesFor additional information about troubleshooting Internet Connection issues in Windows XP, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Using the Microsoft Product Support Services Web Site to Find a SolutionIf you cannot resolve the problem by using the Internet Connection Sharing Troubleshooter or by viewing the recommended Knowledge Base articles, you can use the Microsoft Product Support Services Web site to find a solution to your problem. Some of the services that the Microsoft Product Support Services Web site provides include:
- Searchable Knowledge Base
Search technical support information and self-help tools for Microsoft products at the following Microsoft Web site:
- Frequently Asked Questions - View product-specific frequently asked questions and support highlights.
- Software and Updates - Find software and updates on the Download Center.
- Other Support Options - Ask a support question using the Web, call Microsoft Product Support Services, or provide feedback.
Article ID: 308021 - Last Review: 12/06/2015 05:41:30 - Revision: 8.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbtshoot kbenv kbinfo KB308021