Error 0xC004F015 when you try to activate Windows 10 Enterprise on a Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2008 R2 KMS host
On a computer that is running a volume-licensed installation of Windows 10 Enterprise, you cannot activate Windows if you are using a Customer Support Volume License Key (CSLVK). Additionally, the following error entry is logged in the event log as Event ID 12290:
0xC004F015Error details0xc004f042 - SL_E_VL_KEY_MANAGEMENT_SERVICE_ID_MISMATCHThe Software Licensing Service determined that the specified Key Management Service (KMS) cannot be used.
This problem can occur if you use the Windows 10 KMS host product key in a Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2008 R2 environment. You must use the updated WS2012R2+Win10 KMS host product key if the following conditions are true.
- Client CSVLKs are installed on client computers.
- Server CSVLKs are installed on server computers.
PrerequisitesTo activate Windows 10 Enterprise in a Windows Server 2012 R2 environment, the following prerequisites apply:
- You must have Windows Server 2012 R2 with the Volume Activation role installed.
- You must have update 3058168 installed.
- You must have Windows Server 2008 R2 with the Volume Activation role installed.
- You must have update 3079821 installed.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Log on to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
- Click License.
- Click Relationship Summary.
- Click License ID of their current Active License.
- After the page loads, click Product Keys.
- In the list of keys, locate Windows Srv 2012R2 DataCtr/Std KMS for Windows 10.
- Install this key on the KMS host.
For the client KMS host
This problem should not occur on a client KMS host server.
Activation of Windows 10 is not supported if you are running a KMS host on any of the following operating systems:
- Windows Vista
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2003
Article ID: 3086418 - Last Review: 01/22/2016 18:14:00 - Revision: 5.0
Windows 10 Enterprise, released in July 2015
- kbexpertiseadvanced kbsurveynew kbtshoot KB3086418