How To Use Setup Manager to Create an Answer File in Windows 2000
back to the top
How to Install and Run the Windows 2000 Setup Manager WizardThe Windows 2000 Setup Manager Wizard is not installed by default. To install and use the Windows 2000 Setup Manager Wizard:
- Start Windows Explorer, and then open the Support\Tools folder on the Windows 2000 Server CD-ROM.
- In the right pane, double-click the Deploy.cab file to open it.
- On the Edit menu, click Select All.
- On the Edit menu, click Copy.
- Create a new folder on your local hard disk. To do this:
- Click Local Disk (C:).
- On the File menu, point to New, and then click Folder.
- In the New Folder name box, type the name that you want, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click the new folder that you created, and then click Paste.
- Double-click the new folder to open it, and then double-click the Setupmgr.exe file. The Windows 2000 Setup Manager Wizard starts. Follow the instructions in the wizard to create an answer file.
- Use Notepad to open the Unattend.txt file that you created.
- On a new, blank line under the [UserData] section, type the following line, where AB123 is a 5-character portion of the 25-character alphanumeric Windows 2000 product key:ProductID="AB123-AB123-AB123-AB123-AB123"
- On a new, blank line under the [Unattended] section, type the following line:Repartition=YesWARNING: This command instructs Windows Setup to remove all partitions on the first physical disk, and to create one partition that uses the NTFS file system on which to install Windows. This command deletes all data on the target hard disk.
- On the File menu, click Save.
- Quit Notepad.
- Support\Tools\Deploy.cab\Deptool.chm (double-click the .chm file to open it)
Article ID: 308662 - Last Review: 12/06/2015 05:59:19 - Revision: 3.4
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowto kbhowtomaster KB308662