Works Suite: Works Word Processor (.wps) file opens as blank document in Word 2002
This article was previously published under Q309500
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you open a Microsoft Works Word Processor (.wps) file in Microsoft Word 2002, the file opens as a blank document.
This issue may occur if the following conditions exist:
- Microsoft Word 2002 was installed with the Works Suite installation process.
- The .wps file is from Works Word Processor.
- You open the .wps file in Microsoft Word 2002 in one of the following manners:
- You right-click the file, click Open with, and then click Microsoft Word 2002.
- You double-click the file when the .wps file extension has been associated with Microsoft Word 2002.
This issue does not occur with stand-alone installations of Word 2002.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Start Word 2002.
- On the File menu, click Open.
- Browse to the .wps file that you are trying to open, and then select it.
- Click Open.
Or, if the file is listed on the Works Task Launcher History
tab, you can open it from there.
Article ID: 309500 - Last Review: 12/07/2015 07:58:45 - Revision: 4.1
Microsoft Works Suite 2005, Microsoft Works Suite 2004, Microsoft Works Suite 2003, Microsoft Works Suite 2002, Microsoft Works 8.0, Microsoft Works Suite 2006
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbprb KB309500