How to Determine the Version of Windows XP in Use
This article was previously published under Q310104
This article describes how to identify the following information aboutyour Microsoft Windows XP installation:
- Which version of Windows you are running
- Whether your installation of Windows is an OEM installation
- Whether your installation of Windows is an international version
Windows Version Identification
To determine the version of Windows XP that you are running, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type winver.exe, and then click OK.The version number is displayed in the About Windows box.
Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Version Identification
Windows may have been preinstalled on your computer. Theseinstallations are referred to as OEM installations.
To determine whether you have an OEM installation of Windows, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
- Click the General tab.
- Locate the number that is displayed under Registered to.
This number typically contains 20 digits. If digits 6, 7, and 8 contain the letters "OEM", you have an OEM installation of Windows.
For example, the following sample Product ID number indicates an OEMinstallation:
If you are using an OEM installation of Windows, contactyour computer manufacturer for general Windows support.
International Version Identification
To determine the language version of Windows that you are using, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Search.
- Click All files and folders.
- In the All or part of the file name box, type winver.exe, and then click Search.
- When the file is located, right-click it, and then click Properties.
- Click the Version tab.
- Under Item name, click Language.
The language version information is displayed under Value.
Article ID: 310104 - Last Review: 09/23/2011 22:18:00 - Revision: 3.0
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional