How To Configure and Use Dial-Up Connections in Windows XP
This article was previously published under Q310410
To dial into and log on to your company network, you must create and configure a connection. This article describes how to create and configure a dial-up connection in Windows XP.back to the top Configuring Dial-Up Connections
back to the top Using Dial-Up Connections
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network and Internet Connections.
- Click Create a connection to the network at your office.
- In the Location Information dialog box, enter the appropriate information. Click OK, and then click OK to close the Phone and Modem Options dialog box and start the New Connection wizard.
- In the New Connection Wizard, click Dial-up connection, and then click Next.
- Type a name for the network to which you are connecting (such as "My Office Network"), and then click Next.
- Type the phone number for the network to which you are connecting, including, if necessary, the area code and "1" prefix.
- Specify whether you want this connection to be available for anyone's use, meaning for any user on this computer, or for your use only, meaning only for the user who is now logged on.
- Specify whether you want a shortcut to the connection on your desktop.
- Click Finish.
back to the top
- Click Start, click Connect To, and the click the connection that you want to use.
- In the User Name box, type your user name.
- In the Password box, type your password.
- Choose one of the following options:
- To save the user name and password so that you will not have to type them in the future, select the Save this user name and password for the following users check box.
- If you want only the current user to have access to the saved user name and password, select the Me only check box.
- If you want all users to have access to the user name and password, select the Anyone who uses this computer check box.
- Click Dial.
Article ID: 310410 - Last Review: 07/15/2004 16:02:33 - Revision: 1.3
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- kbenv kbnetwork kbhowtomaster KB310410