How to Change Name and Company Information After You Install Windows XP
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article discusses an undocumented and unsupported command-lineparameter. Microsoft does not support or encourage the use of thisparameter and provides this article as information only. Use thisparameter at your own risk.
This article discusses how to change your name and company information after you install Microsoft Windows XP.
When you install Windows, Setup requests that you enter your name, and optionally, the organization name. This registration information is displayed under Registered to in the General tab of System when you click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
To have us change your name and company information after Windows is installed on your computer for you, go to the "Here's an easy fix" section. If you prefer to fix this problem manually, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.
Here's an easy fixTo fix this problem automatically, click the Download button. In the File Download dialog box, click Run or Open, and then follow the steps in the easy fix wizard.
- Please type your name and company information during the installation of the automatic fix.
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you’re not on the computer that has the problem, save the easy fix solution to a flash drive or a CD, and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Let me fix it myselfEasy fix 50560
To change your name and company information after Windows is installed on your computer, follow these steps:
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
- To change the company name, do the following:
In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOrganization. Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK.
- To change the name of the registered owner, do the following:
In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOwner. Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK.
- Click Exit on the File menu to quit Registry Editor.
Did this fix the problem?Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact support.
For additional information about installing Windows XP, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
286463 Release Notes for Windows XP Setup Contained in the Pro.txt File
306824 Release Notes for Windows XP Setup Contained in the Home.txt File
fixit fix it fixme
Article ID: 310441 - Last Review: 12/07/2015 08:01:13 - Revision: 4.0
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbinfo kbmsifixme kbfixme KB310441