How To Run the IIS Lockdown Wizard Unattended in IIS
This article was previously published under Q310725
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
We strongly recommend that all users upgrade to Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) version 7.0 running on Microsoft Windows Server 2008. IIS 7.0 significantly increases Web infrastructure security. For more information about IIS security-related topics, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
IN THIS TASK
This step-by-step article describes how to configure the Internet Information Services (IIS) Lockdown Wizard to run unattended.
back to the top
Description of the TechniqueThe latest version of the Internet Information Services (IIS) Lockdown Wizard provides administrators with the ability to run the wizard programmatically, allowing configuration across many servers through unattended, automated scripts.
To configure the IIS Lockdown Wizard for unattended use, you must edit the Iislockd.ini file. This file contains the [Info] section, which defines the following basic configuration information that is used by the IIS Lockdown Wizard:
The following list explains the configuration information:
[Info]ServerTypesNT4=sbs4.5, exchange5.5, frontpage, proxy, staticweb, dynamicweb , other, iis_uninstalledServerTypes=sbs2000, exchange5.5, exchange2k, sharepoint_portal, frontpage, biztalk, commerce, proxy, staticweb, dynamicweb, other, iis_uninstalledUnattendedServerType=frontpageUnattended=FALSEUndo=FALSE
- ServerTypesNT4 - Lists the available server type templates that are available for use with Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 servers.
- ServerTypes - Lists the available server type templates that are available for use with Microsoft Windows 2000.
- UnattendedServerType - Designates which server type template to use when you perform an unattended installation.
- Unattended - Designates whether or not to run the wizard unattended.
- Undo - When this option is set to TRUE, the wizard undoes previous changes made by the wizard.
back to the top
Configure the IIS Lockdown Wizard to Run Unattended
- Open the Iislockd.ini file in a text editor.
- In the [Info] section, configure UnattendedServerType by entering the name of the desired server template. For example, if you want to apply the dynamicweb template, the setting resembles the following:
- Change the Unattended setting to TRUE, as follows:NOTE: If you want to run Iislockd.exe unattended to undo a previous run of the wizard, ensure that both Unattended and Undo are set to TRUE, as follows:
- Configure the server type template that is designated in step 2. The template configuration is denoted with square brackets around the server type name (for example, [dynamicweb]). This section contains the various feature settings for that specific server type. To turn these feature settings on or off, set them to TRUE or FALSE.
- Save the changes to the Iislockd.ini file.
- Run Iislockd.exe from the command line or by using a script.
- The parameter for AdvancedSetup is not used and is ignored during an unattended installation.
- The UninstallServices parameter only works on Windows 2000.
For additional information on using a custom server type template during an unattended configuration of the IIS Lockdown Wizard, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
311350 How To Create a Custom Server Type for Use with the IIS Lockdown Wizardback to the top
iis lockdown unattended urlscan
Article ID: 310725 - Last Review: 02/28/2014 04:30:40 - Revision: 5.1
Microsoft Internet Information Server 4.0, Microsoft Internet Information Services 5.0, Microsoft Internet Information Services version 5.1
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowtomaster KB310725