Windows XP restarts when you try to shut down your computer
This article was previously published under Q311806
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you shut down your Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, your computer may restart instead of shutting down, and a Stop error may briefly appear before the computer restarts.
This issue may occur if the following conditions are true:
- You have "automatically restart" selected.
- The Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0 or Direct CD 5.0 program is installed on your computer.
To resolve this issue, contact Roxio, or visit the following Roxio Web site to download and install the updated driver for Easy CD Creator 5.0 for Windows XP:
To work around this issue, remove Roxio Easy CD Creator or Direct CD.
Windows XP may experience a problem during startup that causes a Stop error message. Depending on the system configuration, the Stop error message may appear too briefly to record the error information. To gather important information about the Stop error message and to verify the cause, follow these steps:
- Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
- On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
- Clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure, and then click OK. The error message should remain on the screen so that you can record the error information.
"Stop 0x0000000a(0x00000029,0x00000002,0x00000000,0x80466d7b" error message after Windows is already installedImportant This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
When this issue occurs, follow these troubleshooting steps:
- Remove the Easy CD Creator software.
- Click Start, click Run, type Regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Locate the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Security
- Remove the Etetnt.mpd file that has a revision date of 1997.
- Locate the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
- Remove the following files:
310628 Easy CD Creator 5.0 does not function in Windows XPThe third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
ez ezcd turn off computer shutdown reboot
Article ID: 311806 - Last Review: 12/07/2015 08:07:16 - Revision: 2.4
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kb3rdparty kbenv kberrmsg kbprb KB311806